The first Teresa Brewer Fan Club was founded by Alma Thurmond in Kansas City, MO, USA, in early 1957. For an annual fee of US$1, members got a fan club membership card, a club button with Teresa's picture on it, a cloth patch of a Coral record with the inscription "Teresa Brewer Fan Club," and five issues of the Fan Club journal Teresa's Telegram.|
By the end of Alma's tenure, the Fan Club had evolved into the Teresa Brewer National Fan Club, with area chapters sprinkled throughout the country. Alma still provided copies of Teresa's Telegram for distribution to members of the regional clubs. Fan activities and gatherings were planned by the chapters for the members in their respective areas.
In late 1960, seventeen-year-old Marianne (Mary Ann) Lovaas, who lived in Tucson, AZ, USA, took over the presidency of the Teresa Brewer National Fan Club. Just as Alma, Marianne did a phenomenal job running the Fan Club. Under Marianne's aegis, national membership increased to many thousands of fans and the organization was rated by the National Fan Club Association of America as one of the best fan clubs in the country.
The Teresa Brewer National Fan Club was disbanded in 1962. In the early 1960s, because she had four young daughters under the age of 12 at home, Teresa was cutting back on her singing activities to spend more time raising her family. Except for the release of a few albums and singles on the Philips label, and some select television and live appearances, she remained relatively inactive for the remainder of the 1960s. As a result, there was reduced need for an active fan club.
[ Today's Fan Club: Click here for information ]
THE EARLY FAN CLUB KIT FOR NEW MEMBERS OF THE TERESA BREWER FAN CLUB